Friday, August 6, 2010

Storybuilding Step 1

I've recently read some interesting things about how people come up with story ideas. The two main groups seem to be people that come up with plots first and people who come up with characters first. This got me wondering about the different ways that people come up with stories. Specifically.

I mean, I don't really fall into either category. I like to take general ideas and then expand the characters and plot on those ideas. For example, for this year's NaNo I've been thinking about writing an Asian-style fantasy because most of my stories are very western. This is unfortunate because, if you know anything about me, I'm not-so-secretly in love with Asia and minored in Japanese.

Now, when I say Asian-style fantasy, this invokes a lot of different things. I like to take a broad topic like this and focus specifically on the things that I really want to show up in the story. Often these things are clichés, which can always be expanded on. With this story I want people wearing modest robes all of the time--but when everyone dresses up in elaborate modest robes, they're still considered beautiful and dressed up. Asian-style dragons are totally a must and I've decided the females should be blue and the males red (for specific reasons I assure you). I like doing things with magic, so that'll have to play a part. It'd be cool if that magic revolved around kanji somehow--specifically with the mixed meanings in Japanese kanji. Or maybe writing in general. Japanese has three different alphabets (each with their own uses), so that could be fun somehow.

All of these are fairly basic things, but I know I want them in the story and I'm going to build my plot and my characters around that. Nearly all of my stories are built around these kinds of ideas. How do all of you come up with story ideas? Is it plot? Character? Or something else?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I took three years of Japanese in high school, even was the Japanese Club President. I never spoke it super well but sure loved it. I ended up learning Mandarin Chinese, that made me forget most of the Japanses.

    I think your Asian-styled story would be pretty cool. I don't know if you've ever read Extras by Scott Westerfeld. It has an Asian feel to it. I liked it. Of course, you'd have to read the three book that proceed it in the series.

    I get a small idea and then expound upon it. Things just sort of happen. :)

    ReplyDelete